We are looking for a creative sous chef who is excited about working at our beautiful vineyard and winery in the heart of Texas Wine Country. You will be part of a hospitality team that strives to give our fans unique experiences that complement their visits and the fantastic wines we produce through small bites, hand foods, charcuterie, special events, and planned dinners. Come share our world!
- Competitive pay
- Healthcare benefits
- Opportunities for training
- 50% discount on our wines and wine allocation (free) depending on tenure
- A great team to work with in a beautiful environment
- ...and more!
The Sous Chef is responsible for providing supportive leadership to kitchen staff throughout food service. Their duties include assisting the Executive Chef in monitoring kitchen activities, expediting orders to ensure quality taste or presentation and taking on additional responsibilities in the Executive Chef’s absence to ensure that kitchen staff has proper direction.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Manage and participate in all activities in the kitchen, including food preparation and production
- Management and training of kitchen staff
- Ensure efficient, cost-effective operation and profitability of food production
- Supervise and inspect all preparation and cooking equipment on a regular basis to ensure that they are kept clean, sanitary, and in perfect operating order
- Ensure that food products, presentation, and plating are of the highest quality, and are prepared to serve in a timely manner
- Assume the role as Executive Chef in his or her absence
- Assure adherence to all standards of food quality, preparation, recipes, and presentation in conjunction with the specifications
- Monitor holding and storage operations, stocking and food rotation, and guarantee food service sanitation standards are met
- Assure kitchen personnel are trained in the best cleanliness and sanitation practices
- Assure overall safety of work conditions in the kitchen and other food service areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Culinary Skills
- Problem Solving
- Will supervise two or more kitchen staff, as assigned.
- Must be able to work in a kitchen environment that may involve exposure to extreme heat or cold.
- Occasional work outside for special events, including barbecues, outside buffets, etc.
- Ability to bend, stand, and stoop for long periods of time, and working long hours in hot conditions
- Ability to lift and move objects of up to 40 lbs. on a regular basis
- Ability to negotiate uneven, outdoor surfaces
- Ability to work in various weather conditions, including hot and cold weather
Travel and Remote Work
- This position may require occasional travel to off-site locations, but does not require overnight travel except on rare occasions for events or training
- This position requires on-site work on a regular basis
- Travel to and from the main worksite (daily commute) is at the expense of the employee and is not considered time worked
- Travel between sites during the workday is considered time worked
Required education and experience
- High school or GED equivalent
- Minimum 2-5 years cooking experience in a fine dining environment
- Ability to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen employees, employees from other departments, and guests.
- Safe Food Handling Certification (we can provide this course)
- Experience calculating figures and amounts and performing mathematical functions to meet the business needs
Preferred education and experience
- Formal culinary training or associate degree in culinary arts preferred
- Experience in a culinary leadership role preferred, including people management
Additional eligibility requirements
- This job is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
It is the policy of William Chris Wine Company to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.